New This Week

After spending hours and weeks with our sources, we wrote -- and then wrote some more -- about them. Check out our feature articles on a range of topics and personalities below!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Raised by an Addict

Photo by Narconon Drug Rehab Blog News Center


As she prepares to spread veggie cream cheese on her freshly toasted bagel Brandee Houston says “I’m very lucky to be alive and have the great life that I do.” A student at Metro State of Denver, and an exceptionally well put together young lady, Houston has a lot to be thankful for after a long life of hardships and mistreatment.


Growing up with drugs
Brandee Houston, 21, was born in Ames, Iowa where she was raised by her single, drug addicted and self-centered mother. She recalls a lot of her childhood being left alone, often locked in her room, while her mother went out to party. “Honestly I was used to being alone. I knew what drugs were and I knew my mom was doing them. I got used to the fact that the drugs would always come first,” says Houston, with very little emotion as she wipes the crumbs clean from her hands.

 Will it ever stop?
Houston continued to struggle as she was getting older, about to enter middle school and realizing she didn’t have many to count on. “School was hard and making friends was even harder. It’s not like I could have sleepovers, my mom was in the next room smoking meth.” Not only did the drug use increase over the years but so did the abuse. Houston recalls several occasions where her mother got violent with her.
Houston’s mother went to jail several times for possession of drugs and was even threatened to have her daughter taken away if she didn’t get help. In a town where meth is commonly used and extremely easy to obtain, the only option at this point was to move.

After Houston’s mother gave birth to her second daughter Lexie, the family decided to move to Colorado, Houston says was her mother’s idea so she could get away from the drugs. Unfortunately, it would take more than the move for that to happen, for she didn’t stop.

Hoping for a fresh start
The family settled into Aurora, Colo. in the summer of 2001 and Houston started middle school that following fall. “School was a lot better here. I made friends that had similar family problems as I did. I think that’s when I became a stronger person,” says Houston. She strived in school, getting straight A’s and playing on her school’s varsity volleyball team.

DONE.
Over the years Houston became fed up with her mother’s addiction and neglect. One day after a heated argument that turned physical, Houston left. “I didn’t even have anywhere to go but I didn’t care. Anywhere was better than being locked in a crack house.” Houston grabbed her things, her little sister and set off for a better life.

A New Beginning
Houston ended up turning her mother in for drug abuse and child neglect. Her sister was sent to live with her father and Houston went to live with a friend. She graduated high school in the spring of 2008 and enrolled in college for the following fall, paying her way through student loans.
Now in her third year of college studying to be a nurse, Houston says she is proud of her choice. “It wasn’t easy to leave my mom when she needed help the most. But I was 17 with a little sister and we both had long lives ahead of us. I couldn’t let her bring us down anymore because of drugs.”

Giving Back
Houston has since started a variety of support groups for children with drug addicted parents and works at an after school program in Denver working with intercity kids. “I love my job,” says Houston. “It feels so good giving back to kids that went through the same things I did.” Houston also says that her mother is clean now, and they keep in touch weekly.
Houston says she has high hopes for her future and her mom’s drug addiction has little effect on her now. “I’m doing really well these days, why would I let such negative and hurtful events haunt me for the rest of my life? No. I’d rather just be happy and say it was those things that made me strong and independent.” Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment