New This Week

After spending hours and weeks with our sources, we wrote -- and then wrote some more -- about them. Check out our feature articles on a range of topics and personalities below!

Monday, February 7, 2011

The fun of Journalism at MSCD

Saige Gerwig

Media Writing

In Class Exercise

Metro State Advertising is something that I have never known anything about. Today I wanted to take a closer look into what goes into the department and what their students are learning, and what their ultimate goals were for being Advertising major. I met with two lovely ladies who explained to me what their goals were and what they have been learning and accomplishing through the department. Rhiana Fox was the first student I interviewed. She helps plan trips yearly to Ethiopia so that students can learn and help with the culture. Today she was working on PR for African American Studies and informing people about what can be done with an African American Studies major. “Students can go into so many things with African American studies, which is why it is so great” she stated. “They could go into law, education, social work and anything like that”. She said she plans to keep going to school for Advertising and marketing and hopes to become PR for a company that promotes a “good cause” like Dove. “Dove is great because they really promote loving yourself. In all of their ad’s and commercials they have something that says “Love yourself” or something like it. She said she loves planning events, and getting people together to talk about issues and what can be done about them. She said she would also love to become an event planner and promoter for parties, concerts, etc.

The next student I met with was hilarious. Marissa Martinez (freshman) replied simply, and humorously when I asked her what she would like to promote with advertising. “Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll”. She was completely serious. “It sells, and the media does a great job of selling it and anyone who promotes it makes a lot of bank. I would love to be involved with that”. She also is going to school for event planning. She helps the school promote events with flyers and email promotion. When I asked her to go further into what she would like to do with her major she replied; “Honestly, I’m only a freshman so I’ll probably change my mind, but I would love to get involved in the gay community and help promote the things to stop hate, aids and anything else that goes along with it.” She added some more humor and said “I’d like to become a promotion monopoly and have my billboards all over the world.” Big dreams for a freshman, I think. “Planning events is really fun and anyone should at least try it. There is nothing like putting together even a small party and getting a good turn out with a good response. I’ve never looked into advertising but the atmosphere sounds fun. It was really interesting to hear both of the girl’s dreams and aspirations with their majors and I hope they continue to pursue it and go far with all that they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment