New This Week

After spending hours and weeks with our sources, we wrote -- and then wrote some more -- about them. Check out our feature articles on a range of topics and personalities below!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Who Wants to Meet a Bikini Fitness Model?

I've been on this campus for three years now, working and going to school full-time, so there is not much on this campus I know nothing about. However, there are thousands of people I do not know anything about on this campus and one person in particular that I have always wanted to approach and say something to. There is a girl who works out in the fitness center that has always intrigued me, and I finally had an excuse to talk to her. She is in very good shape and unbelievably strong. I noticed her when I was working out and I remember being amazed at how hard she was working and how much weight she could lift. She stood out and I've always been interested in finding out more about her. Today, I told her I had an assignment that required me to talk to someone I knew nothing about and she was very flattered that I wanted to talk to her. I think she thought that this was my way of hitting on her, which is not the case at all, but I wasn't going to insult her by saying that. I asked her basic stuff at first, finding out that her name is Alicia, she is from Philadelphia, PA and that she is a behavioral Science major with an emphasis in Social Studies. Once I got the icebreaker questions out of the way, I explained to her that I had seen her work out before and how impressed I was with her fitness training. Flattered again, she explained to me that her goal was to become a bikini fitness model and that ultimately, she wants to compete at the national level in fitness modeling. I do not know the first thing about competing in a fitness modeling contest, but she told me it is very much like body building for women, without as much of an emphasis on the muscles that accompanies male body building competitions. While there is not as much focus on the size of their muscles, female competitions do still require a physique attainable to only the most dedicated. This former high school cheerleader works out 6 days a week and is on a strict diet that she says she only breaks on the holidays. Her workout partner vouched for her claim, saying it is hard to keep up with someone so dedicated and that they drive each other, which is why they continue to workout together. Alicia is extremely devoted to achieving her goal, even continuing to workout despite having a torn tendon in her ankle. Any break in the routine would put her behind her goal of competing in her first local competition this summer and she wont let something like a torn tendon stop her short of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment