New This Week

After spending hours and weeks with our sources, we wrote -- and then wrote some more -- about them. Check out our feature articles on a range of topics and personalities below!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Curious Encounters at Metro State

On my quest about campus, I came in contact with a woman named Trianna Horner. Trianna happened to be the president of the Metro State sorority Phi Sigma Sigma. I did not even know that Metro had sororities! I was very interested in what Trianna had to say, and I could tell she was very passionate about her role as the club’s president. While talking to Trianna I learned that Phi Sigma Sigma is a relatively small club that consists of female Metro State students of all ages. Trianna emphasized that the club was all about sisterhood, and acceptance. If you are ever feeling like you need a great group of friends, or a great support system, this is the club for you. Phi Sigma Sigma is very unique in its values. As a club they love to host events, and do many acts of community service. Last year they did various events like put on a Book Fair where there were seven different local authors, and all of the proceeds went to the National Kidney Foundation. They also held a Sapphire Ball, and did many exciting fundraisers like a night at Noodles and Co., and a bake sale. This year they are just starting to begin their exciting recruitment process. Trianna informed me that they plan on doing many more great events this year as well. Phi Sigma Sigma will be hosting a blood drive, karaoke nights, and another U.S. Mint tour to celebrate life-long learning. Phi Sigma Sigma’s goal is to unite the women of Metro State. “At a college like Metro, it is easy to become disconnected, and dislodged from the actual community, and it can be tough to meet new people. Joining a club like Phi Sigma Sigma, is a wonderful way to get involved and go out of your box, while making life-long friends”, said Trianna. The club is hosting a recruitment parties tonight and tomorrow at 6:30 in the Multi-cultural lounge, they would love to see anyone and everyone there.

While wandering through campus I also met a man named Nathan Wilson. He was hanging out in the Art department, and was carrying a guitar, so I decided to strike up a conversation with him. Nathan is a music major in his senior year here at Metro State. I learned that he is in a band, and plays the guitar and the drums. Nathan told me that he eventually wants to teach music to youth, that was his dream. Nathan also told me that Metro is a really great place to be if you are interested in the Arts, and that it was a really great program. “There is a lot of talent wandering through these halls”, he assured me. I thought it was interesting that we could go to the same school, but have two totally different experiences, and different stories to share about Metro. I learned that Nathan liked to play rock, and some heavy metal, but also appreciate classical music. “Going to Metro has really opened my eyes to new kinds of music, and also the music that has always been here”. I thought that was a really cool thing to hear. Nathan really made me appreciate the arts at Metro. When you just go out of your circle of friends and places, there are a lot of interesting, and unique people out there!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting Aspen. The story was written well, but be careful when it comes to formatting and paragraph length.

    ReplyDelete