New This Week

After spending hours and weeks with our sources, we wrote -- and then wrote some more -- about them. Check out our feature articles on a range of topics and personalities below!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Five Sources of News

Walt House
Jan. 24, 2011
Five Sources


As a person who seeks information on a daily basis, I have found there are many options that provide useful and insightful information, but there is a duality in my consumption of that information. I am a consumer and a writer. As a consumer, I have a range of interests and it is reflected in the commercial news outlets that I visit, here is a list of the site I like to visit: The Economist, BBC, CNN.com, Chicago Tribune, and Sports Illustrated.com. As this list shows, I am interested in world news, economic and political events, the local news of Chicago, and sports events.

As for the writer in me, I cannot use secondary or tertiary sources. The information has to come from the source or is a subject matter expert. The sources that I use or have used will vary depending on the subject I am researching. I have written papers on the current state of the outdoor industry, so I went to http://www.outdoorindustry.org/, for my research. For another paper I wrote, I needed to know what the current governmental policy for water rights. USA.gov was my base source. News can be gotten from even more sites, The North Face has listings of events they are sponsoring and new clothing technology it is using. Sarah Palin’s Facebook page is a source of news. Or to know which visiting dignitary will be speaking at the United Nations, http://www.un.org/ site has a list.

News is subjective in it use, each person consumes it differently. It reminds me of a quote, “One man’s treasure is another man’s trash.” News is the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment